photo 598.png

Puppy Chow Recipe (for humans ;)

By 10:00 AM , , , ,


What do you do when you live in the Midwest, get snowed in, and cannot go to school on a random Monday? You bake Puppy Chow {which is a treat for humans, not puppies, as many people assume}. Well, that's what I did at least. After getting 16.7 inches of snow in one day and night, school as canceled, a lot of people were snowed in and couldn't go to work, and a lot of things were just shut down. A big treat after Superbowl Sunday, no? 

I became addicted to Puppy Chow last summer when I was at Stanford. My friends Hannah and Tiffany baked this treat a couple of times during that summer, and my-oh-my, was it a treat. The entire dorm devoured it! {Of course, I snuck a bag away for myself. ;)} So, of course, I had to learn how to make it when I came back to Michigan! The first time I made it, it was simply okay. One, I didn't use powdered sugar because I didn't have any, so it looked different. (The taste wasn't horrible! It was still a big hit during my family's New Year's dinner.) This time, boy oh boy, this time the Puppy Chow was delicious! Do not let the name fool you! You want to try this dessert.


Ingredients
1. Chex Cereal (~9 Cups | I say ~ because I measured it out until I get antsy and just started pouring. Haha.) {You can use any kind, but I use the Honey Nut version.}
2. Powdered Sugar (1 1/2 Cups)
3. Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (1 Cup | If you like really chocolate-y sweets, then feel free to add more!) {I use the simply organic.}
4. Peanut Butter (1/2 Cup)
5. Butter (1/4 Cup)
5. Optional: Vanilla (1 Tsp)

Instructions
1. Pour the Chex cereal into a bowl or you can split the Chex cereal into two plastic bags (that can be sealed). It's up to you! The first time I did the latter, and the most recent time I did the former.

2. Pour the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter into a microwaveable bowl. Heat it up for a minute or until it can all be mixed. You can stop mixing it once it is smooth! Then, if you choose to do so, pour the vanilla in there and mix it.

OR

2. Pour the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter into a pot. Heat the mixture up on the stove (at a low temperature) and mix it until it becomes a smooth consistency. Turn the aisle off and add the vanilla to the mixture.

3. If you put the Chex cereal into a bowl, pour the chocolate mixture over it and mix, mix, mix. If you separated the cereal, then separate the chocolate mixture and kind of shake the bags around. Don't seal them up yet!

4. Pour the Chex + chocolate mixture into one (or two) plastic bags if you had it in a bowl. {I only used one plastic bag and it fit just fine. It's up to you!}

5. This step goes for which ever step you followed above. Now that the Chex mix is in one (or two) plastic bags, you can add the powdered sugar. Seal the baggie and shake! Do whatever it is to spread the sugar around; do this for however long you wish or until satisfied.

6. You can choose to leave the mixture in the baggies, or you can pour them into a separate container or mason jar. Your treat is ready to eat! 

I love this dessert because it's really quick to make, it's delicious, and it makes a perfect gift! {Hint Hint: Valentine's Day} 

Tune: Love You Like That by Canaan Smith
Love You Like That by Canaan Smith on Grooveshark
 photo sig2.png

You Might Also Like

0 comments

f