photo 598.png

Michigan Architecture Prep Program for High School Students

By 11:00 AM , ,

One of the goals that I made last year (sophomore year) was to get as many college credits as possible before I graduated high school. I can happily say that I am on a good track. Last summer, I earned college credit at Stanford University; I took Psychology and Sociology courses. Now, I am enrolled in the University of Michigan MAPP (Michigan Architecture Prep Program) for high school juniors and seniors in the Detroit Public School system (specifically Western, Renaissance, Cass Tech, and DSA). It's for the entire semester and grants me college credit. Amazing, right?!

I decided that I want to blog about the process, the class, our trips, and the overall experience. I'm glad that I have this blog here to get started doing that - I mean, that's what I created it for, eh? To document my life and what amazing (and some non-amazing) things happen in it.

Well, to start off, I might as well tell you how my schedule has changed. Renaissance has a rotation schedule, so this program is a unique one and the participants there are the pilot group. Instead of having a rotating schedule of seven classes, the six students at Renaissance (Kamau, Korzell, Alante, DeOnna, Michael, and I) have a set schedule. We arrive at school as per normal (8 AM), and we go into the career counseling suite, which is where we stay until our lunch at 10:45. We basically have independent study, where we get the assignments from our assigned teachers (Mr. Johnson - World History; Ms. Norris - English; Dr. Curtis-Fields - Chemistry; Mr. Hawk {his name is Tony Hawk, y'all!} - Algebra II & Pre-Calculus) and can work at our own pace doing them. Mr. Hawk is the only teacher who comes into the room and teaches us because he is not a regular teacher; he is there to aid the math teachers because he's, like, some sort of mathematician. I digress. I love this setup because it's so relaxing and allows me to focus on one subject at a time, on whatever schedule I wish.

After we eat lunch, we leave the building around 11:15-11:30 and travel to the Downtown University of Michigan building that was built specifically for the MAPP program. This week was an intro into the Architecture course. The first day, which was Tuesday, was a welcome day. The Dean of the Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning, Monica Ponce de Leon, and the Associate Dean, Milton S. F. Curry, spoke to our group of 11.  (Note: Cass Tech took up the morning class, so the other schools go in the afternoon, which is from 12-3 PM.) On Wednesday, the actual class began. We are focusing on Fundamentals I right now, which is basically a crash course on free-hand and constructed drawing. And newsflash: I suck. I cannot draw for the life of me, and I really hope that this program changes that because, hello, Architecture and drawing go pretty hand-in-hand. 

Thursday was pretty much the same as Wednesday. Friday was a day where University of Michigan college admission officers came to talk to us. That was a more talkative day. However, I learned a lot about admissions to college! 

I am extremely excited to continue this program. I pray that I do well and can actually pass this course. God help me!

Have a nice Monday! (Says who ever?)

 photo sig.png

You Might Also Like

0 comments

f