photo 598.png

Seven Reasons to Do Zumba

By 10:00 AM , , , , , , ,

Working out can be a strenuous and tiring thing. We all want to be fit and in good shape, yet the thought of exercise is something that we dread (I know that I do). Running is just not made for me, Insanity is freaking insane, going to the gym is a bore and very unmotivating, and swimming is something that I enjoy, however I do not always have the time to get to a pool (especially during the winter months, when all  I want to do is curl up in my bed and watch Netflix). For the new year, I told myself that I would find a way to get in shape and be healthy no matter what. I need to do it to not only be healthy, but to feel more confident. The aforementioned workouts just never really worked for me, but this year I have become determined to find something that does work for me. And I think that I have.

Shaking your butt for Zumba.

Zumba is one of the hottest workouts that people are getting into nowadays. It is a fun, high-energy Latin-based workout that anybody from babies (Zumbini) to the elderly (Zumba Gold/Toning) can get into. There are a range of classes available, so there is bound to be something that everyone likes! Currently, I am doing the regular Zumba Fitness classes at the Mid-American Fitness Studio, and I might try the Zumba Toning (which is the same, only with weights) as well. One day, I may also try Aqua Zumba. I'll be combining my passion for the water with my love of dance. What would be better?

If you are still not convinced about the amazingness of Zumba, below I've compiled a list of why you should consider giving Zumba a try.

1. It's a real calorie burner. 

The normal person generally can burn upwards of 600-1,000 calories off of one hour of doing Zumba. I think that this is motivating right there in itself! During the class, you are constantly moving and even if you get really tired, just substituting the all-out movement for a jazzed-down one still lets you burn calories. It is the non-stop moving that gets the calories to burning.

2. Can be done anywhere, at anytime. 

Zumba gives people multiple options of how they want to do the workout. They offer Wii and XBox 360 games as well as several licensed instructional DVDs. I own the Wii Zumba World Party Fitness game, and I love it! You can customize a workout for you, set goals, see progress, and it's really good! If working out alone is not what you like, and you prefer to workout in a group setting, you have the option to! Zumba has become one of the biggest forms of workout all over the world, which means that there are a crazy amount of classes available to take. All you have to do is search for one.

3. You won't even know that you are working out.

Once the fun music begins to play, "working out" is not what comes to your head to describe what you are doing. You'll be so into the music that it would just constitute as having fun. By the time the class is over, you may be super tired, but you will feel as if the class was only fifteen minutes! Time flies by when you are having a boatload of fun. 

4. No judgement.

When I attend my Zumba class, I am the youngest person in there. Note that the class is for all ages. Maybe it's because of the days that I go or something, but there have only been people in their mid-twenties up to their forties in the class with me. When I first went, I was really nervous about feeling awkward for being a teenager with all of those people older than me. Nevertheless, I did not feel judged. The environment is very comfortable and everyone is friendly! If your fear is not being able to dance, or having absolutely no rhythm, Zumba will help you get over that. Honestly, everyone is so sweet and encouraging towards each other. And besides, the entire hour you are immersed in dancing, so (1) there is no room for judgement, and (2) everyone is having fun, so who cares what you look like! It is a complete 'no judgement' zone.

5. Classes for all ages.

As mentioned earlier in this post, there are classes for babies as young as 0-3 with their parents (Zumbini), toddler to kids ages 4-6 (Zumba Kids Jr.), older children (Zumba Kids), teenagers to adults (Zumba Fitness, Zumba Toning, Zumba Step, Aqua Zumba, Zumba Sentao, and Zumba in the Circuit), and elders (Zumba Gold and Zumba Gold-Toning). The classes are extremely fun and full of calorie burning movements! 

6. Total Body Workout.

Not all exercises provide total body workout. Zumba does, though! You endurance and stamina will continuously be increased in the duration of each time you perform Zumba. And the best part about this is that your body will never get used to the routines, so each time you do it, it will be like an entire new workout. That'll benefit you in the form of calorie burning and a more intense workout. Your muscles will be strengthened and you will feel much, much better after getting your Zumba workout over and done with. 

7. Motivation to continue.

After you start Zumba, you most likely will be motivated to continue. The workout is just so fun that you won't be dreading it come the next time you feel as if you want to exercise. The instructors are motivating during (and after) the class, and you can meet some real sweethearts who don't mind being your fitness buddy, which will most likely increase the chances of you wanting to go back.

Tune: Limbo by Daddy Yankee
 photo sig.png

You Might Also Like

0 comments

f